Following these guidelines would enable you to take care of your lawn and you will find it healthier and more attractive all round year throughout the seasons.
Navigate to Contents
Spring Season Lawn Care
Your lawn needs special care and maintenance as temperature tends to rise during the season of spring. Grass begins to grow and thus you need to keep a keen watch on fertilization and watering of your lawn during this season.
- The beginning of spring is the perfect time for laying turf as there exists less probability of frosting and soil becomes more functional during this season. You should sow seed during this period as the temperature of soil also begins to rise and there is enough rainfall so your lawn gets warmth along with enough watering for growth.
- You want to keep your lawn green and for that, you must feed it well. You can find many packaged feeds that include nitrogen. Nitrogen boosts the growth of grass.
- You may need to water occasionally during the end of the season when you feel like it is quite dry.
- Mowing grass is important with the use of a good lawn mower. Set it to the highest setting for starting cuts.
- Remove all the dead grass that may be accumulated in your already settled lawn during the winter season.
- Aerate with the use of aerator or fork to allow air to pass through the grass to the roots so that compacted soil breaks up.
Summer Season Lawn Care
Summer is the most stressful season for lawn and thus you would need to avoid some operations such as aerating and getting rid of dead plants and grass.
- You can feed fertilizer to the lawn during this season once again but it should be done only if rainfall is expected during the season. If the weather would be really hot and dry, then the use of fertilizer must be avoided as it may stress the lawn by scorching. In that case, you may feed your lawn with liquids (tonics) or granular fertilizer.
- Summers may be rainy or dry. If the weather is really dry, you would need to water more frequently. Check the irrigation system too. If weather conditions are extreme, avoid watering in those periods.
- You would need to mow once or twice a week however if the conditions are extremely dry, avoid mowing too. You can get a new or a renovated lawn mower.
- You must continue to get rid of weeds and this can be done by digging them out. Make sure that you remove the entire root of pernicious weeds. Others like Speedwell, daisies need to be sprayed for removal but during droughts, you must avoid spraying.
Fall Season Lawn Care
Fall is the season when you need to take special care of your lawn. Some special care and precautionary steps would enable your lawn to survive during the cool weather of winter. The lawn is used extensively during spring and summer and winter becomes a season where lawn can recover from usage.
- Spring feeds are high in nitrogen and fall feeds are high in potassium that encourages growth to become strong and will harden up roots of the grass for the winter season.
- A good quality dressing can be applied over the top and can be filled in holes during the season all around the lawn. Make sure that the dressing is filled in or otherwise it would affect grass. You can buy mixes available in the market or can make your own by combining sand and compost and loam.
- A high setting mowing still needs of the lawn and the last cut must be at the end of the year during the late fall season.
- Fallen leaves must be raked up and shred with the use of a rotary mower. You can then add them to compost.
- Rip the thatch with the use of a rake. Make it in two directions and rake it more deeply the second time. Scarification during fall season must be tougher in comparison to the one in spring. Remove thatch must be raked up and you can add it to compost.
- You may spike the lawn with aerator or fork to about 3-4 inches. Tinning should be done each year ad follow tinning can be done in 3-4 years.
- Now you get a good time for laying turf as the soil becomes warm. Renovate the turf patches, bumps, and hollows. You can treat bare patches by sowing seed over them.
Winter Season Lawn Care
You cannot do much about your lawn during the winter season. If the weather is freezing, avoid walking on the lawn as it could create black marks on the lawn where grass will die.
- You can lay turf during the winter season but it is best to avoid doing that in extreme freezing weather conditions. It would not be possible to prepare the soil properly during that period.
- When weather conditions are bearable, you must remove all the leaves that have fallen over the lawn and maybe blocking light. You can use a maintained lawn mower for picking up leaves and you can also rake them up.
- When winter is about to end and if the weather has turned mild, you may dig up areas of your lawn in preparation of laying turf during the season of spring.
These tips will help you in keeping your lawn healthy and maintained through the year in all four seasons. By following this advice, you will be able to keep your outdoor area in a perfect shape with less hassle, efforts and time consumption. Your lawn needs care, feed, watering, mowing, and other maintenance all year long and this planner would help you in achieving a perfectly built and maintained the lawn.